Posted by blakhani on September 29, 2011
Today I was fortunate enough to deliver two online sessions via virtual techdays. I have been asked to share the slide deck. So here I am uploading the presentation.
1. Tips for Successful SQL Server Deployment in Enterprise Environment.pptx
Abstract : SQL Server performs best when it is setup keeping all the best practices in consideration. In this session we will learn various deployment tricks and tips which will SQL Server to perform at its best all the time. Presenter will demonstrate few tricks which are not common but can improve performance dramatically.
2. High Availability – A Story from Past to Future.pptx
In this session we will go over various aspect of High Availability. This feature has moved a long way and have taken different shape during the years. We will understand the features past capabilities and how it has been enhanced with new versions ‘Denali’. Here, I have covered below topics
b. Database Mirroring
c. AlwaysOn features like Backup on Secondary, Readable Secondary, Multiple Secondary to name a few.
The recording and ppt would be officially available after some days on www.VirtualTechdays.com
Hope you would enjoy it!
Posted in AlwaysOn, Denali, SQL Server | Leave a Comment »
Posted by blakhani on September 26, 2011
While preparing for the Virtual TechDays Session, I received an email where AlwaysOn Setup was failing on Windows Server 2008 with below error message while attempting to use the create new availability group wizard in SQL Server Management Studio.
Here is the text for message for better search.
The local node is not part of quorum and is therefore unable to process this operation. This may be due to one of the following reasons:
• The local node is not able to communicate with the WSFC cluster.
• No quorum set across the WSFC cluster.
My research of pre-requisites revealed that we need below patch to be available on the operating to make it work.
1. KB 976097 ( Hotfix to add support for asymmetric storages to the Failover Cluster Management MMC snap-in for a failover cluster that is running Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2)
– Supports SQL Server Failover Cluster Instances with AlwaysOn Availability Groups
2. KB 2494036 (A hotfix is available to let you configure a cluster node that does not have quorum votes in Windows Server 2008 and in Windows Server 2008 R2)
– Supports configuring optimal quorum with non-automatic failover targets
This is already documented in http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff878487(SQL.110).aspx
See you at Virtual TechDays!
Posted in AlwaysOn, Denali | Tagged: AlwaysOn, Denali | Leave a Comment »